Thursday, April 15, 2010

Aejis, Sexual Jedi, and Grady

Part 2: My First Underground Show
Up until the middle of my freshman year of high school I had no knowledge of anything good in this world involving music. I didn't know who ACDC or Led Zeppelin were, I didn't know that Ozzy Osbourne was once in Black Sabbath, and I didn't know how to play "Smoke On the Water" on guitar like every other person around me. I learned quickly through skillful observation and the help of Jenna and her, uh, older and wiser expertise.
Until I went to The Underground, I was even more lost in the world when it came to local bands from around Ventura County. When I learned that one of the bands I was going to see was called Sexual Jedi, I thought, "Jeeze, what weirdos." I was also an incredibly innocent Mormon kid with absolutely no street smarts, do not forget this important bit of information. I knew that the lead singer of Grady, Max, was also the lead singer of Crazy Janette, probably the only local band I had heard of because they were just kind of legendary (even though they were all still teenagers), and my friend Amanda is his younger sister. Aejis was just sounded funny to me.

When I got to the coffee shop across the street from the ugliest bus station in the world, I noticed that everyone was smoking, even people I knew and went to school with, which completely blew my mind, because I had no idea so many people my age smoked. I thought that was myth, things you saw in 80's movies but didn't actually happen in real life right before your eyes.
I didn't know anyone except the people I came there with, and, though I don't recall now, but I was probably judging every single person on the sidewalk because they looked different than what I was used to, which was Hurley and Billibong t shirts and board shorts and big-brand name skate shoes. Here, there were jean jackets with huge back patches, old Converse high tops with holes, red mohawks, and tight pants. I didn't know what to do. This was NOT how I was socialized.
But I liked it. I liked the thrill of being around something different. And as the months passed by, I ended up being part of it. I still have some of my dental floss hand-sewn tight jeans and my plaid vest with the jean front pocket and New York Dolls and Doors patches.

Anyway, the music was amazing. Sexual Jedi is still one of my favorite bands to this day, though I don't know if they still make music. I just listen to the CD I got of theirs at that first show. They are mostly instrumental, which is weird, because the two songs that do have words on their first album are sung really well and I love the singer/guitarist's voice. Also, it's just a drummer and the guitarist, which is awesome. Aejis was a very psychedelic, acid rock band with a gorgeous boy of a lead singer who had beautiful long wavy brown hair and wore green flannel shirts. Grady was like our own modern day, local Led Zeppelin. The thing is, I'm totally not exaggerating when I say these bands were awesome. They were all so incredibly talented with skill that most people 20 years older than them didn't have.


That night was the beginning of a time during my life that shaped me into who I am now. I think it's still one of the best nights of my entire life so far.

Song of the Day: "Shooting Up With Baby's Blood" by Sexual Jedi

Facts:
one . The top five bands that I want to see in concert at some point are Tegan and Sara, The Shins, Rilo Kiley (or just Jenny Lewis, but all of Rilo Kiley would be best), Eisley (again), and Paramore.
two . I went to the same middle school and graduated from the same high school as Kevin Costner, and also the same high school as that guy that's in the show Chuck.

1 comment:

  1. This kind of makes me want to put my life on hold and go to a show in Brooklyn in an attempt to have a similar eye-opening experience; it all seems so ... I don't know if this is the right word: magical.

    I'm going to have to check out some of this music, I love finding new bands to listen to!

    ReplyDelete