Friday, January 1, 2010

Recaps and Goals

I don't like that time passes so quickly. It bothers me. But I do enjoy change to some extent, so I let time do it's thing without worrying too much about it (as if I could do something to change what it does).

In the year of two thousand and nine, I made many many new friends at school in northern Utah, then moved away from them in late April, not knowing that I would not return to Weber in the Fall to come. Now that I'm back to living at home and going to a different school, I have basically no good friends within a 350 mile radius of me.
Well, this kind of sucks.
Anyway, I had my fun during my freshman year of college earlier in the year, and I enjoyed being in California for a good chunk of my summer with my Ventura friends and family, but when Fall did eventually roll around, I no longer was having fun.
I wont say I became depressed, because I know what depression is, and I consider myself too happy a person now to fall back into crap like that, but I will say I was less happy. I wasn't lonely, but I felt alone a lot of times, and I didn't really do much to change my situation.

Then November came.
With November came a list of life changing events.
First, I FINALLY got my hands on a copy of Paper Towns and read it. I read Looking For Alaska several years back, pretty much right after it came out, along with Katherines when it did, but I NEVER thought of exploring my love for these books further online. It never even occurred to me at the time that authors of good books go places and do readings, though I did, in fact, know that they did. After reading his third novel, I thought I would look John Green up online because, well, I have nothing else to do.
Before continuing, I would like to point out that John Green changed my life with his writing before he inspired me otherwise.
And then I found it: Brotherhood 2.0.
WHY HAD I NOT FOUND THIS BEFORE? I was a fan before it all started, but I was lame and I never discovered the extent of how much of a fan I could be. I became a Nerdfighter right then and there.
Then I discovered...YouTube. I mean, I had obviously heard of it and used it before. But for...vlogging? What? fiveawesomegirls? vlogbrothers? meekakitty? whatthebuck?
I couldn't believe it. I thought that I was extremely internet savvy, but no. Boy, was I wrong. How wrong I was.

So I gave vlogging a try, as much as I hate that word for some reason. My first vlog was crap. Then I just watched and watched and watched and watch videos on YouTube all the time for about a week. I made friends. This was weird to me considering my recent un-successes doing so "IRL". Then I made more vlogs, and I personally saw growth after about a week.
I'm not looking to be a YouTube sensation like hayleyghoover or anything, I just want to make good videos in the hope that someone (maybe some people) will enjoy watching them.

I also discovered the Harry Potter fandom within all these events unfolding in several weeks. I wont go into that too much because it is a little more special to me (as nerdy as that sounds), I've already written a blog on it, and I've already written a lot, so I'd be completely surprised if you are still reading. In fact, leave a comment telling me you are still reading if you are.

Oh, goals!
My four main goals for the year are to go to VidCon and Wrockstock 4, get into one of the schools I'll be apply to for transfer (that is, if I haven't already..), and complete, and somewhat release, an album, preferably wizard rock for Foundation of Fair Fortune, though I have been writing a lot of muggle music as well. So who knows.
Other goals I have in mind are to make more friends (whether it be IRL or online), get a real job, build an electric guitar, and improve my vlogging skillz and maybe get some more subscribers?? That would be kind of cool. Not really an ego boost as much as a self-esteem one. Not that I need an ego boost, no one ever does, really. Though the two coincide in a sense, really.

But I digress.

Later days.

Song of the Day: "The Only Exception" by Paramore (Brand New Eyes is fantastic, by the way).
Film of the Day: Lords Of Dogtown (2005). It's always been a secret dream of mine to skate like people did when they revolutionized the skating world in '75. The documentary this is based off of is swell too, Dogtown and Z-Boys (2001). I highly recommend both.


PS-if anyone else wants to go to VidCon...I need someone to share a room with or else I won't be able to go. So let me know if you're down.

No comments:

Post a Comment