Saturday, January 30, 2010

Elephant.

I literally rented Elephant with the intention of watching it without ever knowing what it was actually about, which I don't generally do. Little did I know that it would end up being one of the most incredibly thought provoking films I've ever seen. It was a film with so much to say, while at the same time having so little dialog to say it. It was filled with long, drawn out shots, which helped lure me in to the story, of which is mostly happening withing a matter minutes. The repetition of the shots from various angles keeps it interesting, and at the same time keeps the film an appropriate length.
At this point in time I do not actually know why the movie is called Elephant. I'll have to think about it for a while, but I have some ideas. I'm sure I'll read up on it in a bit, but for now, I think I'm meant to just take it all in and think. Think of what happened, how it happened, what led it to happen.

All in all, my mind was just blown away by the intensity of that film. The thing is, it all hits you in the face within the last 10 minutes of the movie and you're just kind of...stunned. At least I was.
The fact that I'm reading a book about the same sort of thing makes it more apparent that these sorts of things are, in fact, real, though nobody ever wants them to be, or thinks that they will be until they happen.


If you have no idea why I'm saying what I'm saying, see Elephant, written and directed by Gus Van Sant. But be warned, it is not for the everyday movie-watcher. It takes a while to get into it, but there are so many great aspects of how it was put together, things you have to look for. Also, the actual story is quite a serious one, and can be a surprisingly emotional subject.
But I do indeed recommend it if you're in the mood for something though provoking/a little bit depressing. Believe it or not, there are such times.


Books of the Day: Give A Boy A Gun by Todd Strasser and Shooter by Walter Dean Myers
Film of the Day: Elephant (2003)
Song of the Day: "Mad World" by Gary Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment