Thursday, January 21, 2010

I Should Have Posted This On MLK Day

"I'm not tellin' you what to do
You have the right to think
And do as you do
But to hate other people because of their race
Is just a waste of time
And a stupid disgrace

Hatred, I hate you, you hate me
It's such a waste of good energy
Instead of hating each other
Why not try and unite the scene and change the world
Just imagine if everyone listening right now was united
And wanted to change the world
Think of the difference we could make
If we only tried"

-"Hate" by Missing 23rd

I love punk music. It's so much more than moshing and screaming. Though those things are always fun too.
Unfortunately, I never got to go to a Missing 23rd show, but I have been to countless numbers of local punk shows in Ventura county, California. Those were the days...



I never think much about Martin Luther King, Jr. Day when it rolls around every year. I was thinking about that just now. Not that being half black makes me want to observe the holiday more than those who aren't African-American. It just made me think, "Hey, that's right, I'm half black." Living where I do, it's easy to forget, believe it or not. Listening to that song, it reminded me somehow.
I grew up in a family where nobody looks like me. Nowadays, I have a nine year old cousin, Eli, who looks like he is my little brother because he's also half black. Also, my other cousin, Kirstin, married a Tongan, so now we have a little more variety in the family :]
To be completely honest, I never thought about the fact that I was different than everyone I'm related to. In fact, I didn't even know I was black until 3rd grade when we were learning about the Civil Rights Movement and my teacher (worst/meanest teacher I've ever had by the way) pointed out me and this kid Johnathan because we were the only black kids in the class.

What I'm pretty much saying is I'm definitely proud of my race, but I don't make it a point to let you know that I'm black. Except when I'm hanging out with Alex Castillo, and basically anyone who went to Foothill Technology High School when I did. I made up 1/2 of the 5 1/2 black kids at our school at that time, so it was kind of a big deal. Yeah, we counted.


Yay for equality!

Later days.

Film of the Day: "The Hurt Locker" (2009). This was a very good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment