Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's All About The Exposure

We shall start at the beginning.
First, Spanish. IT WAS SO EASY. We spent like, half an hour, figuring out how to say "my name is". And my instructor has a good sense of humor, so all seems well with that class.
After Spanish on Mondays and Wednesdays, I come home for two hours to an empty house and either read, spend too much time on the Internet, or anything else, really.
Then I go to Drawing and Composition for two hours.
Today was the first time we actually did something though. I haven't actually, you know, drawn something in a really long time, so it was weird for me to pick up on still life again. It took a little bit until I felt completely comfortable sketching with a charcoal stick. Thing. Anyway, I liked it. Not as much as I used to, but I think it's going to take some time. My senior year really made me dislike all things art, so I'm not sure if I'll really be able to enjoy drawing to the fullest extent again.
But, boy, do I love ceramics! Which is what I do on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Except I'll be in the ceramics studio a lot more than that, I guarantee it. I've definitely made up my mind that I want to have ceramics as my concentration. Now I just need to get into a school's art program to do it...

On Tuesday evenings at 5:15, for three hours of awesome, I have Young Adult Literature.
My professor is fantastic. I don't generally like female professors, at least from my college experience so far, but I really like her. She also has a good sense of humor. Whilst mentioning that Twilight is, in fact, a YA book, she said that anyone who's an English major should never read the series while holding a red pen. Amen to that.

Since I'm on the note of YA Li. right now, I should also mention that the books I have to read for this class are going to be AWESOME. Today I bought The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan, Shooter by Walter Dean Myers, The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, and Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis.
Also, I have to o a two-minute presentation of Paper Towns next Tuesday explaining to the class why everyone should read it. The catch is that I have to have five props. So I went to Target today and bought a plastic toy cow (the last one...I don't why it was the last. Who buys toy cows?), a Hot Wheels van (it's not a mini-van. Apparently Hot Wheels doesn't make those), and a pack of dollar section map flash cards. I felt very awkward at checkout.
I'm also going to use a Santa figure from our Christmas decorations and my book of Walt Whitman poetry that I randomly have from eleventh grade.

I still have to find YA books that fit into the Horror genre. Any suggestions??

I love my classes. But I do not love transfer applications and rebuilding my portfolio.
Hakuna matada, I suppose.

Later days.


Song of the Day: "Where The Lines Overlap" by Paramore. Hayley Williams' voice is cRaZy awesome. It's probably because she's crazy awesome. Just a thought.
Film of the Day: Legion (2010). This comes out on the 22nd of this month. I have the poster on my wall of movie posters. Which isn't saying a lot since every wall in my room has a movie poster on it. Anyway, I love Paul Bettany. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I only just thought to look at your blog. It's great - I'm definitely subscribing! I'll check out your yt channel when I have some time, too.

    This post has made me excited for uni to start again. :)

    Also, I was reading your old posts, and I have to say that I got quite excited over your 1 January post. I had a similar experience where I stumbled upon the vlogbrothers one day in mid 09 and an entire new world opened up for me (except I didn't know any of John Green's stuff). I know exactly what you mean when you say you 'discovered' youtube, despite already knowing it existed, etc, etc. And it made me feel a bit better about being relatively late to the whole thing. I wish I'd been there for the start of the vlogbrothers or the 5ag or the start of wrock but I wasn't. But that doesn't make me (or you!) any less of a nerdfighter!

    ReplyDelete