Monday, January 18, 2010

Good Things and Weird Things

I love being right when so many people didn't believe me. Even if it is just about an nonexistent creature in the next room over.
And it was a cat, for the record.
It's been stuck in the chimney/pipe/thing that goes up to the roof from the basement for almost a week.
First, I started hearing noises coming from the next room over at night when I was going to sleep. I would check the other room hesitantly, thinking the worst: someone broke in. But there was always...nothing. It creeped me out.
Then we thought our dog peed in the same room. Even though I thought it smelled like a cat had. Don't ask me how I would know that.
And apparently my step-dad, Mike, had thought he heard a cat down here a few days ago as well.

Then there was tonight.
As my younger brothers and I were playing the Harry Potter's Adventures at Hogwarts board game about 30 minutes ago, we heard faint "meow" noises. I said, "Is that a cat?" and both Mikie and Andrew said, "No, it's our dad," and I didn't think anything of it because Mike is the kind of person who would try and weird us out by meowing at us from around the corner. The only problem was, we heard it again, and, out of annoyance, I yelled, "Can you please stop!"
No one answered.
Then I told Andrew to go check, and, well, he didn't want to because he's a 12 year old that is still afraid of the dark, so why would he check the dark halls for a cat?
Anyway, Mikie Jr. finally got up and yelled to Mike, "Are you making cat noises?!" and Mike said no. We heard a distinct "meow" come from somewhere in the room, and told Mike to get down stairs. We searched the room over, and every room in the basement and found nothing. I kept saying, "I know there's a freaking cat down here somewhere even though I sound like I'm going crazy."
Finally, Mike went onto the roof to check down the chimney pipe from up above, and, low and behold, I WAS RIGHT.
Cat in the chimney. The poor thing has probably been there for almost a week.
We called the fire department and they're on their way.

And to top it off, my mother just opened my door and said, "Maybe you should come out of your room when the firemen come over so you can get the cute ones." Direct quote. Wow. I literally did a face-to-palm move.

Mikie asked if we could keep it, and I sarcastically told him that we should obviously disregard the fact that I'm allergic and don't even like cats.


I'm so glad we could get to the bottom of this.

Later days.


Song of the Day: "Carve Your Heart" by Dashboard Confessional
Film of the Day: Inglourious Basterds (2009). I just rented it. I will be watching it shortly.

1 comment:

  1. That feeling of vindication is always good. :)

    Hope the cat in your chimney will be OK. My aunt's cat once disappeared for about five days, and we then found her in a drain across the street. She was really old and weak and probably wouldn't have survived much longer. I have no idea how she got down there. Animals can be so silly sometimes.

    Also, it's already halfway through the 19th of January for me (1pm). You're living in my past. I find that so weird, don't you?

    P.S. I'm not even a Tarantino fan and I quite enjoyed Inglorious Basterds. It's really good. Not sure I'd want to watch it again, though - a little bit too bloodthirsty for me.

    ReplyDelete