Monday, December 28, 2009

Post Chistmas Chaos

Christmas day every year is generally the only time that my entire family can get together all in one place. Even so, we're always missing someone. This year it was Tyler, Kirstin (and the baby to be!) and Ma'afu and Ofa, and Randy, my aunt Heather's husband. Otherwise, though, I think all of the original 7 kids, so to speak, were there. And by that I mean my mom and her 4 sisters and 2 brothers. Out of the 13 grand kids, there were 10 of us there. And of course the spouses of everyone, which practically doubles the amount of adults, so all in all there were about...25 people at my grandmas house on Christmas day.
It is always insane.
But I absolutely love it. It's what I always look forward to.
The younger grand kids (so basically anyone who came after I did) are usually running around all over. The sisters, moms, and grandmas are in the kitchen. The men/boys are watching a basketball game in at least one room of the house. The older grand kids are intertwined within everything that's going on, just helping and/or staying out of the way.
Or, as I was doing, wrapping last minute presents that were forgotten by Grandma Suzie.

There is always a process with these things. There has to be, or else nothing would get done and it would end up being more crazy than it already is.
First, one present each for the younger kids who believe that the sole purpose of the holidays is for gifts and only gifts. Generally those 10 and under.
Second, dinner.
Third, clean up and put away food while little kids continue playing somewhere else for a good 20 minutes.
Fourth, everybody goes back to the living room, and, one by one, we start handing out the gifts that we have. Not everybody has gifts to give, but really...who cares? The little kids don't really notice because they all get enough things from grandma that they don't care from whom all the goodies come from.
And last, but not least, we break out the desserts. Cookies, peanut butter balls, Oreo balls, chocolate truffles, carrot cake, cheesecake, etc. For some reason I have become the resident cookie and peanut butter balls maker for the last couple of years...this duty was just kind of thrust upon me. I don't mind though.

After all is said and done, people start going their separate ways for different reasons; sleepy, kids need to go to bed, whatever. Who ever is left at grandma's house once the noise level has died down usually plays a game on the dining room table with everyone else who is still there too.
That's probably my favorite part of the day. When everyone is tired and happy and together in one place having a fun time.


I'm so grateful that I was born into such a big family. I don't ever want to not have a big family. It's just so much fun :]




Still waiting to hear from UW, by the way...




Song of the Day: "Happy Christmas Day" by Oliver Boyd and the Remembralls

No comments:

Post a Comment