Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tales of a Restaurant Server: Part One

My first ever job was expediting pizzas and busing tables at Chuck E. Cheese's. I eventually moved up on the food chain to host birthday parties for loud children and their sometimes rude parents, and everyone's favorite (though not really), dressing up in the Chuck E. costume and walking around as a giant gray mouse with really awesome shoes. I ended up in the kitchen doing food prep and cooking, which is the area I've worked in ever since.
Until now.


And...I like it. I like going back to serving and being around people and smiling and taking food orders and refilling drinks. That's weird, right? Yeah, probably.

Anyway, tonight was my 4th night training this week, and I got to take some orders and such, and, lucky me, all of the tables whose orders I took were from some other country. I think France, but I can't be totally sure.
See, the thing about the restaurant where I work at now is that we're right next to a hotel, and St. George is actually quite the tourist town since it's right next to Zion National Park and 2 hours from Bryce Canyon. We get a lot of people from out of town, and often out of country. Which I have absolutely no problem with...except that they can barely understand me and I can barely work out what they try to say to me in their guidebook-English-speak.

All in all, it was an interesting night.

Later days.



Song of the Day: "Turnpike Ghost" by Steel Train. Also, Steel Train's latest album is on sale for 3.99 on amazon.com right now, which is insane, because it's probably one of my favorite albums of the year, besides The National's High Violet. And for the record, I like the Tegan & Sara cover of that song about as much as I like Sara's bowl cut. So, not a whole lot.
And just in case you were wondering, "Touch Me Bad" is my favorite song right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment