Monday, September 6, 2010

Movies and Emotions

I just watched Mysterious Skin. I just...I..hmm. I can't even begin to explain what I'm feeling right now. It's like whenever I watch Boys Don't Cry or The Virgin Suicides. I just feel...empty. Not sad, necessarily, but nothing good comes from it, either. It's just a feeling different than what I'm used to. I'm not sure what it is or how to describe it.

For those of you without any morals when it comes to watching movies, like myself, I very much recommend all of the movies I've mentioned. But if you do not fit into that category, I don't recommend them. They're for people who can sit down and watch a film and be fine with whatever happens next. They are very real movies. Very real. Not the real that we all strive to live with in our everyday lives, but the real that those less fortunate than us encounter throughout theirs. The fact that actors can retell the stories of these people and these things that actually happen amazes me.

Back to Mysterious Skin. Now, I know pretty much every person (obviously there are exceptions, but roll with me here) loves Joseph Gorden-Levitt. And I'll be honest: that's why I added this movie to my Netflix queue. BUT I loved Brady Corbet's bit in this movie. Now, I first saw Corbet in Funny Games when I watched that last year, which is just another one of those movies that screws with your emotions, but in a different way than Mysterious Skin. But that is another blog post. Anyway, just seeing the ways that their two characters worked in this movie was incredible. I would elaborate, but I don't really want to get into the plot and such.

For some reason I feel inspired. To do what, I'm not exactly certain of, but something. I just want to create something that can evoke as much emotion in others as some films can do to me. That's always been a goal of mine: to make people feel. It sounds a little odd, but it's something I want to accomplish at some point in my life. Whether it be with words, written or vocal, with music, with art, with anything. I just want to make people feel what I feel right this second, so that they can at least know what the hell I'm talking about.


Later days.


Song of the Day: "White Blank Page" by Mumford and Sons

No comments:

Post a Comment