Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wizard Rock: My New Favorite Thing

This is an explanation of my new found love of wizard rock (wrock) music:
First I found Brotherhood 2.0. Then I found Five Awesome Girls. Then I found wizard rock music.
At first, I was sceptical. Thinking, "yeah, I love Harry Potter, but wizard rock? Really?" NEVER judge a book by it's cover. For some reason unknown to me, I was automatically hooked when I listened to The Parselmouths. Then the Moaning Myrtles. Then I remembered that I've actually seen The Remus Lupins at Warped Tour several years ago in Ventura. And I remember them being awesome.
More than anything, I love the togetherness of the wrock community. I love the dedication and the happiness that I see people get from participated in something so great. Wizard rock has truly changed my life in some ways, though I know that might sound weird. For those of you who know me, I know you think I'm a little insane when I tell you I like this music and want to be involved with it. It just kind of fits into my life perfectly, like a little piece of something that I've been missing.

Anyway, my brother Mikie and I decided we were going to start a wizard rock band. The only problem was that he doesn't play an instrument, and I don't play my instruments as well as a lot of other people. But I love to write, and I have a huge passion for playing my guitar and writing songs, so I figured we could just work with what we had. Lately, though, this little project we set out to do has become a one-man-band sort of deal. Mikie has kind of moved on, not maintaining the same enthusiasm for this as I have. Which is funny because I'm four years older than he is, thus, the more mature, so you'd think I would have moved past this as well. Alas, it is not so.

While choosing our band name, we were looking through all the other wrock band names on Wizrocklopedia, seeing what was taken already. Mikie came up with a list of possibilities before I did and showed them to me. One of them was "Fountains of Fair Fortune", from the The Tales of Beedle the Bard. I read it aloud as "Foundation of Fair Fortune".
We ended up really liking that, therefore, we decided to call ourselves Foundation of Fair Fortune. Well. I call myself that since he's somewhat out of the picture.

I've been writing a lot for the last few weeks, wrock songs and non-wrock songs alike. But mostly wrock songs. I want to keep writing more because I'd like to get some recording equipment and record a first album sometime next year. For now, I'll get some acoustic rough versions of them up on YouTube, the first of which is Magic By the Lake, as of an hour ago.


I love doing this. And I hope I get support from my friends and family to continue doing it, even though it's not necessarily the norm. But then again...so what if it's not?

No comments:

Post a Comment