Friday, July 30, 2010

Tales of a Restaurant Kitchen Worker: Part Two

It's a dangerous world out there. I didn't know how dangerous until I started working with industrial size Hobart mixers. Sure, I love me a good KitchenAid stand up mixer, they come in handy with practically every baking recipe, but believe it or not folks, size does indeed matter.
Okay, so I didn't exactly have a bad run in battle with a giant bread dough mixing machine, but I got a bruise on my knee and a few good scratches on my hands. I work in the bakery department of a state-wide franchise pizza place, which means I basically make everything except the bread and pizza dough. Cookies, crab, jell-o, and pasta salads, a variety of calzone fillings, two kinds of pies, chocolate mousse, apple crisps, etc. All from scratch. I actually very much enjoy my job, because I like cooking, and for some reason I'm a fan of continuous cycles of activity, i.e. doing a small task over and over and over for a good half hour or so. Like portioning 8 ounces of an Italian calzone filling into a small plastic bag...25 times. I find enjoyment in the little things in life. There's generally a logical reason for the enjoyment, but sometimes I just simply like the repetition.

Anyway, I was cleaning the smaller of the two giant mixers the other morning after making a raspberry jell-o salad, and whilst wiping the machine free of pink splatters, the metal gate/splatter shield fell off the machine and onto my leg. Perhaps I should let you know i was kneeling on the ground, or else the previous statement doesn't make any sense.
I ended up with a lovely welt, relatively the size and color of a plum. It's slowly fading, but still. I haven't been that bruised for a while, it was odd to know that it came from a kitchen accident.

The moral of the story, folks, is that there is danger everywhere...I just didn't expect it to come after me in the form of a Hobart mixer.


____________________________________________


That was my attempt at writing something different for once. Still all about me, but a different take on me, I guess.

Later days.

Song of the Day: "Bring It On Down" by Missing 23rd
Show of the Day: Bones

No comments:

Post a Comment